Women More Attractive During Ovulation: Science of Sex
|March 17, 2012||Posted by admin under Behavior, Human Behavior|
I’ve always been interested in why people do what they do. Lets face it, we feel certain ways and do certain things and often have no idea why. We just react to our instincts. But what’s going on behind the scenes?
For example. Have you ever walked past a woman who you’ve known for a long time, seen often, and never noticed her as particularly attractive, but all of a sudden this one time you see her and think, “Wow, she’s so attractive, I don’t know why I didn’t notice before”? It’s not like she looks particularly different… but something just draws you to her.
It might have something to do with ovulation.
What is Ovulation?
Ovulation is when an egg is first released from a woman’s ovary. It is at this time that she is most likely to get pregnant. If she has a regular 4 week menstrual cycle, ovulation occurs the two weeks after her period starts and ahem– men ignore this next sentence, when her discharge starts to look like egg whites (ladies, you should keep track of when you ovulate. It could seriously save you many a baby scare).
6 Ways Ovulation Affects the Female Sex Drive Every Month
It’s a general consensus in today’s scientific literature that women are more attractive during ovulation. When women are ovulating, they feel infinitely more sexual and more attractive to men. Don’t believe me? Studies show:
6. Women will dress more provocatively (show more skin) when they are ovulating and buy sexier products when given a choice.
5. Their voices become higher, which is associated with femininity and attractiveness.
4. They sway their hips more when walking, have an interest in “manly,” “confident” men, and are more interested in social gatherings.
3. In a diary study on couples, periods of ovulation were the only times in a month when wives asked for more sex than their husbands.
2. Women are more likely to cheat on their significant other when they are ovulating.
1. Get this: The effects of ovulation are so strong on attraction that strippers have learned to use it to earn bigger tips. No matter how attractive the stripper is or how much she usually makes at her job, her earnings rise about 50% more when she is ovulating. If a woman is on birth control, she does not ovulate and does not get this bonus tips– many strippers for this reason alone stay off the pill.
2. Men smelling the sweat of ovulating women see a dramatic rise in testosterone compared to men that smell the sweat of non-ovulating women (read: you’re more likely to ask her out, seal the deal, etc etc).
1. Men are more jealous and possessive of their girls when they are ovulating, although they are also more attentive and giving to their wants and needs.
Why Does This Happen, and How Can I Not Notice It?
Ovulation has a profound effect on our lives and we are not even aware of it. All of these actions are completely unconscious. It’s not like women go around saying, “Oh, ovulating time I better go cheat on my husband!” No. These effects are all by-products of that thing your biology professor talked about once. Evolution.
For our ancestors, it would be an incredibly useful adaptation to know when women are most fertile to have children. Without passing on our genes, we get nowhere in the evolution game. Men can somehow “sense” this and become more protective of their women at this time– they act as if she was going to cheat on him any second. Women, on the other hand, want to appear most attractive at this time so they can be sure to use their chance of having a child.
Going along with this evolution theory… If our female ancestors are more likely to cheat on their husbands during ovulation, then our unconscious goal would be to have another man– besides our husband’s– child… Think about that. Are we biologically programmed to cheat? (I can do another post on the biology of cheating if anyone is interested).
How Can I Take Advantage of This?
First of all, ALL women should know when they ovulate. You can use this information to your advantage. Don’t go on a shopping splurge those days because you’ll come back broke, and skip Victoria’s Secret all together. Try taking your facebook pictures during ovulation. See if it gets you any extra attention.
Men, refrain from spending all your money on your gal while she’s in between cycles. And be ready for a lot, and we mean a lot, of sex.